VP of Human Resources - Josiah White's - Wabash, IN - EXPIRED
This is an archive of an expired job.
Company: Josiah White's
Job Title: Vice President of Human Resources
Department: Human Resources
Employment Status: Full-time/Regular/Exempt
Qualifications: A Christian with strong convictions who is also in agreement with Josiah White’s mission statement, Statement of Faith, and Code of Conduct. A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or related field is required; a Master’s degree in a Human Resources-related field is highly desirable. A minimum of eight to ten years of experience in the HR field with a minimum of 5 years leadership experience is required. The incumbent must possess an awareness of Human Resources practices within a faith-based environment. This person must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills; be adept at influencing others; employee/customer-focused; and well-organized with the ability to prioritize workload. Must have a valid driver license.
Reports To: President and Chief Executive Officer
Summary: The Vice President of Human Resources must be a Christian and a missionally-driven person committed to fulfilling scripture through leadership and advocacy. The incumbent of this position will serve as a thought leader for the organization in addition to overseeing all aspects of the human resources function including: recruiting, hiring, orientation, strategic workforce planning, professional development and training, retention, performance management, succession planning, and compensation strategies. This person solves complex problems and identifies solutions to non-standard requests; she or he provides advice and guidance to management on all issues related to human capital issues across the organization. This person works closely with department leaders, the President and Chief Executive Officer, and Board of Directors to enhance program outcomes and to achieve desired results. The Vice President of Human Resources must provide effective leadership for their direct employees, demonstrate the ability to work with employees in diverse work environments, and demonstrate sensitivity to our service population’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics and needs.
- Responsible for recommending employee surveys (Engagement, satisfaction, exit, onboarding, and stay interviews), administering them, presenting the findings and managing the agency’s integrated response to the findings; ensures that the agency uses the information to continuously improve employee morale.
- Responsible for the creation, implementation, and maintenance of all people-related policies and procedures in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations. Works with leadership to ensure that the policies represent the agency’s values and to ensure that management principles, policies, and programs are consistently practiced
- Educate and inform managers of people policies and procedures and counsels leaders on the application of them; provides historical context and legal precedence in order to gain buy-in and deeper understanding.
- Provide counsel to management and employees on disciplinary actions, performance problems, and general conflict resolution to ensure fairness and consistency in behavioral management practices.
- Act as liaison between employees and management teams, handling grievances or appeals to ensure due process is followed. Provides counsel to employees and maintains positive employee relations to the greatest degree possible in order to avoid litigation and other potential losses.
- Accountable for ensuring that all HR functions are performed in a highly confidential and quality manner and striving for continuous quality improvement.
Recruitment and Hiring
- Collaborate with leaders to develop and oversee a recruitment strategy for the organization based on a deep understanding of organizational needs, culture, and strategic plans.
- Establish standard recruiting and placement practices and procedures internally; educate leadership staff on how to apply them and why they are value-added.
- Enhance candidate sourcing and hiring efforts for key positions which includes college recruitment and community outreach initiatives. This includes developing a comprehensive talent acquisition and advertising strategy.
- Ensure that qualified personnel are selected and that orientation and on-the-job training programs are conducted and effective.
- Ensure that all hiring practices are compliant with state contracts and regulations.
Organizational & Employee Development Activities
- Direct a process of organizational planning that evaluates structure, job design, and people competence for the sake of forecasting the future of the workforce throughout the company. Lead and coordinate activities across departments.
- Direct the process of organizational development that includes talent review, professional development activities, and succession planning initiatives.
- Develop processes and work with leaders to identify the employee and organizational capabilities that are needed for growth and future success; implement and oversee a comprehensive staff development approach that links training needs, performance reviews, career planning, and professional development activities to required or desired skills and competencies of staff.
- Ensure job descriptions and training plans exist for all staff positions and are kept up-to-date with changing job responsibilities; create a vision and goals for new employee onboarding that ensures that the new hire experience is positive and effective
- Create a strategy for professional development and training activities across the agency and ensure that the training team maximizes participation and identifies funding sources in collaboration with the Advancement office and other leaders.
- Oversee system upgrades, communication around usage and expectations, and sustained effectiveness of the organization’s LMSs and HRISs.
Compensation and Benefits
- Establish competitive and fair wage and salary structures using external data; create pay policies and practices, and maintain a comprehensive benefits plan to ensure that a competitive compensation structure and total rewards program is sustained.
- Make recommendations to leaders regarding pay changes and offer across all levels of the organization in order to achieve balance between being competitive and being fair.
- Provide periodic assessment of all benefit programs offered to employees (i.e., health insurance, life, STD/LTD, etc.) and recommend changes that maintain a competitive posture in the market.
- Lead the open enrollment program annually and work as the agency’s key liaison with third party administrators and vendors related to benefits.
- Drive wellness initiatives that align with the mission and goals of the agency as well as the agency’s benefit plan.
- This position will serve as the benefits administrator for all benefit programs offered to employees.
General Administrative and Compliance Duties
- Assist management to ensure that uniform standards of work hours, overtime, vacations, leave of absence, severance pay, holidays, and related policy areas are maintained.
- Implement operating and expenditure budgets for the HR function.
- Oversee and ensure compliance related to the processing of all paperwork that impacts employee records (new hires, transfers, salaries performance reviews, benefit enrollment, equal employment reporting) and compliance requirements.
- Identify HR information needs of management and compiles and distributes important information on a routine basis.
- Work closely with external legal counsel on risk management issues related to employment and provide counsel to leaders; composes high quality, formal correspondence and documentation as necessary.
- Responsible for review and submission of all legal reports and correspondence as required/requested by government or similar agencies (i.e., EEO annual report, salary surveys, OSHA 200 log, Workers compensation reports, etc.).
- Direct and oversee the PQI process as it relates to Human Resources systems and ensure PQI is discussed regularly with all staff in the department.
- Work closely with the Chief Operations Office and General Counsel on establishing a recurring PQI meeting schedule with appropriate staff; creating agendas that enable the stakeholders to assess progress against goals and identify new opportunities for improvement; and identifying outcomes and indicators necessary to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the department and processes.
- Perform other job functions as assigned by the President and CEO.
- Work with leadership to drive key initiatives, such as reductions in workforce, acquisitions and other major change management projects.
- This position will assist with risk management and safety activities (i.e., safety committee, etc.).
Skills, Supervision, Knowledge, and Ability
- A person who takes initiative and works with minimal supervision.
- Possess effective verbal and writing skills.
- Able to administer effective staff training and development plans.
- Possess knowledge of HR record-keeping requirements and administration.
- Experience implementing policies and procedures.
- Experience in compensation planning and performance management.
- Demonstrate competence of HR laws, trends, and best practices.
- Computer literate in Microsoft Word, and Excel. Proven data entry and report assembly experience is desirable.
- Must be able to maintain professional boundaries and confidentiality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and works well with diverse personalities.
- High energy level, comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with normal activities.
Physical Demands of Position
- Must be able to tolerate computer work and filing.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to go up and down stairs.
- Normal workdays will be Monday through Friday. Work hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Attend work regularly and be on time.
- Flexible and willing to work an altered or extended schedule when travel, projects, or deadlines require.
- Must have the energy and stamina to move freely and actively about Josiah White’s campus.