Senior Business Developer Manager - Commodities and Structured Trade Finance - HSBC - New York, New York
Click Here to Apply Online
North America-United States-New York-New York
HSBC provides financial services solutions to clients with sophisticated domestic and cross border banking requirements in a variety of industry sectors all over the world. Leveraging the strength, scope and expertise of our global product network, HSBC is positioned as an essential partner to customers seeking to maximize their potential internationally, offering streamlined business access to HSBC’s international network and broad range of market leading banking products and services.
CSTF HBUS is responsible for providing both core trade and CSTF structured products / solutions to GTRF’s commodities clients across both Global Banking & CMB (LC and MME sectors). The team works closely with Global Bankers and Relationship Management teams. Client base is predominately global metals & mining, agriculture and oil & gas companies, major international trading houses, all active in the commodity supply chain as commodity distributors, suppliers and end consumers. Transactions cover both domestic and global flows ensuring close connectivity within the HSBC International Network.
Reporting to Head of CSTF NAM, role is comprised of managing existing client product credit facilities, liaison with Coverage bankers on new client origination, ensuring smooth operation of day to day transactions, structuring transactions, credit renewals and proposals, market risk analysis, coordinate execution of facility documentation and ad hoc reporting.
As a small focused team there is close interaction with both Commodity Risk and Collateral units to manage overall counterparty risk and collateral management. In addition, interaction with Global Finance Risk Distribution and Investor Finance in terms of distribution of assets to optimize both credit capacity and RoRWAs.
Impact on the Business
- Develop effective strategies to grow and manage CSTF customer relationships, anticipate customer needs and provide a superior quality service to position HSBC as the market leader in this segment
- Build existing and win new long-term CSTF customer relationships from a product perspective
- Keep abreast of external factors influencing international business e.g. economic, cultural, geographical, procedural and regulatory requirements
- Ensure timely and accurate maintenance of customer and deal pipeline information on relevant systems, as required
- Monitor relationship performance regularly to ensure that the return is commensurate with the type of customer and both HSBC’s and the customer's risk appetite
- Take timely and proactive corrective action to mitigate potential losses, exercising effective portfolio stewardship and control
Customers / Stakeholders
- Deliver a high quality service by owning customer engagement from a products perspective, striving for excellence in all interactions with (prospective) customer or other professionals, and always acting according to the highest professional standards
- Proactively develop CSTF nationally, with a focus on growing the business and brand in the marketplace
- Ensure that client plans are coordinated and the Client Service Teams are in place with Coverage partners and Critical Account objectives accepted, where applicable
- Take a proactive approach to client planning across the portfolio collaborating with Coverage partners and senior management, as appropriate
- Establish an effective working relationship with the Risk Management teams, in order to validate the accuracy of the customer risk profile
- Ensure early identification of problem relationships and take action where there are potential and existing problem accounts to protect HSBC interests
- Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets
Leadership & Teamwork
- Support achievement of the HSBC vision, Values, goals and culture in personal behavior, actions and decision making
- Provide technical leadership and support technical excellence by searching out external best practice, monitoring technical and professional developments, sharing knowledge and encouraging others to do the same in the best interests of HSBC and its customers
- Encourage and enable constructive cross-country and cross-business teamwork by demonstrating collaboration and matrix management in action and challenging actions and behaviors that are not consistent with HSBC's diversity policy and/or the best interests of the business and its customers
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Develop and recommend changes and improvements to operating models, procedures and practices based on subject matter expertise and understanding of HSBC and market best practice
- Communicate and adhere to HSBC policy and procedures in order to ensure good operational, financial and project management, policy and procedural compliance and early identification and effective resolution or escalation of issues that arise
- Contribute to the development, implementation and maintenance of a management information, analysis and reporting framework that supports and informs timely and effective business management and decision making at all levels
- Contribute to the implementation and monitoring of the application of policies, governance frameworks, procedures, practices and standards to ensure quality, effective risk management and regulatory compliance
Management of Risk
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organization.
- This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviors that form part of the HSBC Values and culture and adhering to HSBC risk policies and procedures, including notification and escalation of any concerns and taking required action in relation to points raised by audit and/or external regulators.
- The jobholder is responsible for managing and mitigating operational risks in their day to day operations. In executing these responsibilities, the Group has adopted risk management and internal control structure referred to as the ‘Three Lines of Defense’. The jobholder should ensure they understand their position within the Three Lines of Defense, and act accordingly in line with operational risk policy, escalating in a timely manner where they are unsure of actions required.
- Through the implementation the Global AML, Sanctions and ABC Policies, supporting Guidance, and Line of Business Procedures the jobholder will make informed decisions in accordance with the core principles of HSBC's Financial Crime Risk Appetite.
- The following statement is only for roles with core responsibilities in Operational Risk Management (Risk Owner, Control Owner, Risk Steward, BRCM, and Operational Risk Function
- The jobholder has responsibility for overseeing and ensuring that Operational risks are managed in accordance with the Group Standards Manual, Risk FIM, & relevant guidelines & standards. The jobholder should comply with the detailed expectations and responsibilities for their core role in operational risk management through ensuring all actions take account of operational risks, and through using the Operational Risk Management Framework appropriately to manage those risks.
This will be achieved by:
- Continuously reassessing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- Ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring, addressing areas of concern in conjunction with Risk and relevant line colleagues, and also by ensuring that actions resulting from points raised by internal or external audits, and external regulators, are correctly implemented in a timely fashion.
Observation of Internal Controls
- The jobholder will adhere to, and be able to demonstrate adherence to, internal controls and will implement the Group compliance policy by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures.
- The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
- The following statement is only for roles with managerial or specific Compliance responsibilities
- The jobholder will implement measures to contain compliance risk across the business area. This will be achieved by liaising with Compliance department about business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimizing relations with regulators
- Keen interest in global commodity markets, geopolitics, risk management and macroeconomics
- Exposure to financing physical commodity transactions and global flows
- Understanding of commodity traders’ risk management and financing techniques
- Understanding and ability to structure various commodity finance products including but not limited to Transactional Financing, Borrowing Bases, Pre-export and Prepayment Financing, Warehouse Financing and Tolling Finance
- Sector exposure to oil & gas, metals and mining and soft commodity clients
- Exposure to legal documentation and collateral management
- Solid credit analytical skills and ability to demonstrate clear rationale based thinking
- Prior commercial, corporate banking relationship management and client exposure preferred
- Credit analysis or risk management experience preferred
- Ability to analyze annual accounts and client management information
- Understanding of core trade products e.g. letters of credit, guarantees, working capital funding cycles, receivable finance and supply chains solution
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in commodity finance
- Experience targeting corporate clients in the Commodity sector
- Knowledge of how commodity clients operate
- Formal Credit Training required
- Good level of business acumen and commercial awareness, including economic, cultural, procedural and regulatory issues
- Ability to interact with business customers at all levels Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact and build relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent time management, planning and organization skills
- Excellent range of communication skills, including written, verbal, and the ability to deliver compelling presentations
- Bachelor’s (Master’s preferred) Degree in Finance, accounting or related fields
If you would like to notify the Diversity Recruitment team of your application or if you are simply interested in learning about opportunities at HSBC, please email [email protected]
This job is currently active.