Regional Commercial Support Officer - Government & Institutional Banking - HSBC - United States, North America
Click Here to Apply Online
North America-United States-District of Columbia-Washington
Government & Institutional Banking (GIB), based in Washington, DC, is a Commercial Banking department within International Subsidiary Banking that services the banking needs of foreign government-related entities located within the US (embassies, consulates, missions and related organizations) and abroad (foreign ministries and related entities). Operational and client servicing responsibilities are managed locally according to set department workflow standards, authority hierarchies, segregation of duty/dual controls in line with HSBC Global Standards and HBUS CMB Procedures.
The Regional Commercial Support Officer provides complex operational and administrative support for GIB, ensuring provision of quality, timely and accurate service to internal and external customers and compliance in line with HBUS and regulatory agency policies and procedures. This role provides support to GIB on servicing tasks including HSBCnet, credit cards, account onboarding, KYC/CDD/EDD, client service calls, risk management, AML/FCC, unusual activity reporting, tracking progress of workflow, generating and analyzing reports, document management, account activity reviews, completing transaction review narratives, escalating AML and or FCC concerns and additional duties as assigned.
Impact on the Business
- Ensure department policies and procedures are followed on transactions such as client onboarding, KYC/CDD reviews, client servicing and event reporting;
- Liaise and work with other areas and segments of the bank to ensure the best possible experience and outcomes for clients, employees and the Bank;
- Ensure timely and accurate maintenance of customer information on internal bank systems;
- Provide direct customer support for HSBCnet and liaise with appropriate resources to address any customer needs;
- Support the management of client credit facilities including the issuance of cards, adjusting limits, troubleshooting payment issues;
- Support GIB RMs through fielding client calls and meeting with clients directly to resolve any operational issues;
- Perform administrative tasks such as tracking department level work, management and tracking of customer complaints, Gifts and Entertainment reporting, and escalations to risk management functions;
- Reviews and evaluates alerts/cases consisting of anomalous or potentially suspicious activity;
- Reviews customer and account activity including transactional data and customer relationships to accurately identify cautionary/red flags and suspicious activities that requires additional research;
- Performs name and account based research on lists and reports provided through established resources to determine if evidence of money laundering activities exist;
- Writes quality investigative narratives based upon transactional activity and customer relationships in order to report suspicious activity and evidence of possible money laundering and/or terrorist financing activities;
- Maintains familiarity with appropriate investigation techniques to support AML activities, including research utilizing bank systems, intranet, internet and external vendor solutions as appropriate;
- Ensure the consistent application of the HSBC policy and adherence to regulatory, financial, and legal standards to minimize business and reputational risks.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Support achievement of the HSBC vision, Values, goals and culture in personal behavior, actions and decision making;
- Encourage and enable constructive cross-country and cross-business teamwork by demonstrating collaboration and matrix management in action and challenging actions and behaviors that are not consistent with HSBC's diversity policy and/or the best interests of the business and its customers.
Operational Effectiveness and Control
- Develop and recommend changes and improvements to operating models, procedures and practices based on subject matter expertise and understanding of HSBC and market best practice;
- Communicate and adhere to HSBC policy and procedures in order to ensure good operational, financial and project management, policy and procedural compliance and early identification and effective resolution or escalation of issues that arise;
- Contribute to the development, implementation and maintenance of customer management information, analysis and reporting framework that supports and informs timely and effective business management and decision making at all levels; and
- Contribute to the implementation and monitoring of the application of GIB and Group policies, governance frameworks, procedures, practices and standards to ensure quality, effective risk management and regulatory compliance.
Management of Risk
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organization;
- This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviors that form part of the HSBC Values and culture and adhering to HSBC risk policies and procedures, including notification and escalation of any concerns and taking required action in relation to points raised by audit and/or external regulators;
- The jobholder is responsible for managing and mitigating operational risks in their day-to-day operations. In executing these responsibilities, HSBC has adopted a risk management and internal control structure referred to as the “Three Lines of Defense”. The jobholder should ensure they understand their position within the Three Lines of Defense, and act accordingly in line with operational risk policy, escalating in a timely manner where they are unsure of actions required; and
- Through the implementation the Global AML, Sanctions and ABC Policies, supporting Guidance, and Line of Business Procedures the jobholder will make informed decisions in accordance with the core principles of HSBC's Financial Crime Risk Appetite.
- Sufficient business / technical skills to assist with all processes in the department.
- A good understanding of policy and procedures, Instruction Manuals, and Internal Audit recommendations.
- Must be able to ensure proper controls are in place to mitigate risks, protect information security, and minimize errors.
- Must be able to adapt to the changing needs of the business and enhance client service.
- Able to understand the risk implications of various operational issues to recommend and implement solutions as appropriate
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Excellent time management, planning and organization skills;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Strong change focus and ability to manage change; and
- Proven ability to deliver creative and flexible customer solutions.
- Analytical ability to evaluate the root causes of the problems and come up with quick solutions to avoid any client dissatisfaction. The individual should have a minimum of 3 years of experience working in Bank operations with payments, foreign exchange, and Middle Office capacity.
- Must have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with good listening skills. Must show politeness and professionalism when dealing with clients and willingness to help. Strong attention to detail. They must be highly organized, self-starter, dynamic and demonstrate initiative in enhancing processes. They must be able to work comfortably in a team environment or independently, and have tolerance for high pressure situations. They must also demonstrate strong time management skills and be able effectively multi-task to ensure deadlines and expectations are met.
- Bachelor Degree/ Proven and progressive operational experience supporting commercial customers;
- Well-developed communications, organization, decision-making and customer service skills;
- Proven ability to respond to changing circumstances
- Cultural sensitivity/ Broad worldview
- Spanish language skills preferred and/or Portuguese and/or Arabic
This job is currently active.