This is an archive of an expired job.
Company: Metropolitan Water District
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is a consortium of twenty-six cities and water districts that provides drinking water to nearly 19 million people in Southern California. Metropolitan's mission is to provide its service area with adequate and reliable supplies of high quality water to meet current and future needs in an environmentally and economically responsible way. Metropolitan's facilities include the 242-mile Colorado River Aqueduct, five conventional water treatment plants with a combined capacity of 2.6 billion gallons per day, nine surface water reservoirs, 800 miles of pipeline, and 16 hydroelectric power plants.
PROPERTY ACQUISITION TEAM MANAGER
MWD's Real Property Group currently has one opening for a Property Acquisition Team Manager in the Planning & Acquisition Unit at
our Headquarters Building in Los Angeles, California.
Real Property actively engages with peers and partners to apply strategic approaches for the acquisition, management and protection of real property assets; provides timely response and premier quality deliverables.
This management position will be responsible for the planning, valuation and acquisition of real property, property interests and rights-of-way for water conveyance, infrastructure reliability and protection, and water supply projects. Areas of responsibility include the management of a team of real estate professionals responsible for, but not limited to the following: preparing real property deeds, purchase and sale agreements, leases, licenses and entry permits, negotiating real estate transactions, preparing appraisals and cost studies, conducting market analyses and feasibility studies, reviewing appraisals, and supporting eminent domain.
Common job duties for team managers:
1. Supervises staff including selection, assignment and monitoring of work, coaching, mentoring, counseling, and performance assessment; determines priorities and aligns work load; reviews work for thoroughness, adherence to applicable standards, constructability, and accuracy; assesses employees' competencies and develops training plans; trains subordinates in applicable techniques and methodologies; and ensures staff compliance with applicable health and safety standards and requirements.
2. Provides general administration of the organization including establishing and tracking organizational goals and objectives; analyzes organizational activities and prepares reports; develops and monitors the budget; evaluates resource needs and prepares staffing and consulting requests; provides input re: policy and procedures; and reviews and approves time, reimbursement requests, and purchases.
3. Leads staff in development of organizational vision, strategies, goals, and objectives for customer support and service; plans, develops, and approves schedules, priorities, and standards for achieving organizational goals; and reviews and reports on status of all organizational activities.
4. Meets with key customers to work on projects and initiatives and supports applicable customer satisfaction feedback mechanisms.
5. Performs other related duties as required.
Job duties specific to this position:
1. Manages the appraisal and acquisition of real property activities in support of capital and other projects including title research, land use studies, litigation support for condemnation, preparation of real estate documents, and preparation of property appraisals; and negotiates with property owners and tenants.
2. Manages professional services and consultants; prepares scope of work in requests for proposal; evaluates and selects consultants for professional services; prepares and negotiates agreement with consultants; administers and tracks consultant performance; and audits work for compliance and approves contracted work.
3. Acts as project manager; plans projects; monitors budget and schedules; prepares presentations, technical reports, meeting minutes, and correspondence works with other business units.
4. Conducts special assignments such as automation of real estate records and community relations.
6. Oversees the technical work of the team.
7. Performs other related duties as required.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS
Education and Experience: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in real estate, business administration, engineering, or a related field and eight years of progressively responsible real estate and/or property management experience, of which two years must have been in a project management, supervisory, or lead capacity; OR a master's degree from an accredited college or university and six years of increasingly responsible relevant experience, of which two years must have been in a project management, supervisory, or lead capacity.
Required Knowledge of (common for team managers): Management and supervisory methods and techniques; principles of organizational and strategic planning; team building; personnel and general disciplinary policies and practices; relevant federal, state, and local laws; principles of budgeting, cost monitoring, and accounting; project management including planning, scheduling, and costing; report writing; performance measurement tools and metrics; policies and procedures related to procurement, contract administration, and other business activities; Metropolitan organizations; and Metropolitan facilities and operations.
Required Knowledge of (specific to this position):
Real estate law; real estate appraisal theory; real property development; legal aspects of easements; eminent domain law; relocation rules and regulations; principles and practices of real estate management; real estate market analysis and finance; real estate marketing and environmental processes as they pertain to real estate; urban land development; negotiation techniques; title research practices; escrow theory and practice; project planning; project management; relevant federal, state, and local laws, codes and regulations; Metropolitan facilities and operations.
Required Skills and Abilities to (common for team managers):
Lead a diverse work force; resolve organizational and resource problems; perform financial analysis; plan, organize, and evaluate the work of subordinates and/or project team members; mentor, develop, and motivate staff; determine training needs of staff; review work products for detail and adherence to guidelines; encourage and facilitate cooperation; establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with all levels within the organization, other agencies, regulatory agencies, special interest groups, and the public; use business and project management applications and methodologies; communicate orally and in writing on administrative and technical topics; negotiate and build consensus; exercise judgment and discretion; devise long-term planning strategies; prepare reports and presentations for all levels of management; interpret and analyze results; interpret policies, rules, and regulations relative to the section and group; and represent Metropolitan on various business transactions as needed.
Required Skills and Abilities to (specific to this position):
Review work products for adherence to real estate laws and Metropolitan policy; interpret and analyze real estate transactions; and use business and real estate applications.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIREMENTS
Licenses (Required at time of application)
* California State Licensed Real Estate Broker
* Valid California Class C Driver License or equivalent that allows you to drive in the course of your employment
* California State Licensed Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
* Senior Right of Way Agent designation with the International Right of Way Association
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met or may be encountered by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands: Light
Work Environment: Primarily an indoor work environment typical of an office setting. The work environment may include some exposure to outside elements. May travel to various sites requiring overnight stay.
Schedule: 9/80 Monday through Friday with alternating
* Competitive compensation
* Excellent medical, dental, life, vision
* Retirement plans, including pension plan and 401k
* Tuition reimbursement
* Training and advancement opportunities
* Excellent working environment
* Public transportation reimbursements and van pools
* On-site fitness center
* Hub of public transportation: Rail, subway, buses and taxis
For more information on MWD benefits, please use the following link: http://www.mwdh2o.com/PDF_Careers/benefits.pdf
This job announcement has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. To receive a copy of the complete job description, please send an email to [email protected]
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Qualified individuals with disabilities, who need a reasonable accommodation during the application or selection process, please call (213) 217-7738 or email [email protected]
MWD is a Federal and State EO employer - Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.<img height=1 width=1 border=0 src=http://mwdh2o.contacthr.com/53247857.jpg />
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: