This is an archive of an expired job.
Company: University of California, San Diego
Executive Director and Associate Dean, International Programs, UCSD Extension
University of California, San Diego
Reporting to the Dean of Extension, the Associate Dean for Extension's International Programs contributes to the collaborative work of the academic and administrative leaders of https://extension.ucsd.edu/about-extension department.
The Associate Dean provides exceptional leadership and direction for a complex portfolio of programs and services within Extension International Programs and in collaboration with other Extension and campus departments. This includes international business development, working with main campus academic deans and faculty; developing customized programs for students and specialized cohorts; English language instruction for international students across the globe; strategic planning and marketing for international student recruitment, program and instructional design and management, academic integrity, international student services, and the supervision and direction of academic and administrative staff.
The Associate Dean focuses on existing and new relationships with overseas agencies and university partners to further the reputational, recruitment and revenue goals of Extension which is anchored in a major research university. This programming includes, but is not limited to: English language programs - some of which serve as a pipeline to degree programs, university-credit and research programs for visiting international students, certificate programs for international students and professionals, and post baccalaureate preparation for graduate and professional school. In doing so, the Associate Dean must be an intellectual leader as well as demonstrate diplomacy and tact, creativity, consistency and attention to detail, the ability to persuade and inspire trust, and sound judgment in deciding on exceptions to policy and procedures.
Applying academic and financial planning skills, the Associate Dean responds to requests for proposals for customized programs and customized components to existing programs. This includes programs that involve instruction provided by just one Extension department or instruction provided by a combination of Extension departments, as well as campus academic units needing the provision of international student services, housing, activities and other needs outside of academic programming. In this work, the Associate Dean demonstrates the ability to create programs quickly and to inform and persuade, utilizing extensive knowledge of educational programming and services for international students, scholars, and professionals, of U.S. visa regulations, of campus and community facilities and resources, and of Extension and campus requirements and constraints.
• Master's degree or above in Applied Linguistics, Education, or related academic fields.
• Five years of overseas marketing experience that includes successful results from international travel for direct student recruitment work, university presentations, communication with third-party agencies, and meetings with government agencies.
• Five years of successful experience designing and implementing fee based educational programs and seminars for internationals, including a wide range of student services and activities.
• Demonstrated strong or potential accomplishments in areas contributing to diversity, equity and inclusion, and a desire to play a leadership role in advancing UC San Diego's commitment to achieving excellence and diversity
• Multilingual in addition to English (preferably one or more of Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, or Arabic)
• International partner development experience in international education
• Teaching and program management experience in a university's continuing education division
• 5+ years as a senior administrator of an intensive English program, preferably university-based
• Sustained engagement in NAFSA and/or TESOL organizational activities
• Knowledge of UC and UC San Diego policies and business practices
• A background check is required for this position
• This position meets the requirements of a mandated Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) reporter
• Must be able to obtain visas to enter all countries in South America, the Middle East, Asia, and Europe, to facilitate frequent international travel of one to two weeks
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES
• Creates the vision and implementation strategy for new and existing international programs for Extension, including in partnership with campus units and overseas universities and organizations.
• Serves as primary academic and institutional contact with international sponsorship and scholarship organizations, ministries of education and higher education, NGOs, overseas university partners, and UCSD campus departments seeking advice and assistance in their international efforts.
• Represents Extension on advisory councils and interdepartmental groups convened by UCSD main campus regarding international recruitment and programming efforts.
• Represents Extension and main campus, as needed, to government leadership (city, state, etc.), and to city/state/national/international organizations
• Prepares complex budgets, analyzes fiscal activity, and identifies and corrects discrepancies and areas for change in spending/expense allocation.
• Assures fiscally sound practices to meet department needs and Extension goals. This includes the ability to implement the necessary programming, spending, and staffing changes in times of enrollment expansion or contraction.
• Directly supervises, or supervises through others, a large team of staff, academic, student, and by-agreement instructor employees, striving for strong morale and social cohesiveness in a culture of strong work accountability and high level performance.
• Applies detailed knowledge of U.S. immigration regulations and practices to program design, department communication, and department policies for all non-resident visa types (especially B, ESTA, F, OPT, J, and H).
• At the Dean's request, serves on the Extension executive leadership council and other advisory councils; advises the dean and other Extension leaders on academic and policy issues relating to international recruitment, programming, and services.
COMPENSATION AND APPOINTMENT
The hiring salary range for this 100% Continuing Educator 3 position is $100,000-$125,000/year, commensurate with the top candidate's qualifications and experience. This position is a year-round appointment (12-months) coinciding with the July 1 to June 30 fiscal year. The initial period of employment will go from hire date to June 30, 2021 with anticipated renewable 2-year appointments possible thereafter. This position is eligible for full UCSD health/welfare benefits as well as participation in the University of California Retirement Plan pension OR 401k-style plan and will receive monthly vacation accruals at 16 hours per month.
AA-EOE: The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
San Diego, CA
• Cover Letter - Please include a brief narrative of your prior activities and the reasons why you feel this position is a match for your career goals.
• Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
• Checklist - Provide a checklist briefly describing how you fulfill each of the required minimum qualifications listed in this position posting, as well as any preferred qualifications listed in this posting.
• Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our http://facultydiversity.ucsd.edu/recruitment/contributions-to-diversity.html site for more information.
• Proof of Highest Degree Attained
• 3-5 required (contact information only)
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/1572253
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.