2020 Congressional Innovation Fellowship - TechCongress - Washington, DC - EXPIRED
This is an archive of an expired job.
TechCongress is recruiting for our 2020 Congressional Innovation Fellowship!
This fellowship will place you among the top tech decision makers in the United States government at a time when technology is reshaping society in fundamental ways. Even if you've never considered working in government, you should apply. The Congressional Innovation Fellowship will allow you to make change at the highest levels and at a scale unparalleled in the private or public sectors.
We are bridging the divide between Congress and the technology sector by placing tech savvy candidates like you to work with Members of Congress and Congressional Committees in order to build capacity in Congress, train cross-sector leaders -- who can understand the challenges of government and in the technology community -- and keep Congress up to date about the latest challenges and opportunities relating to technology.
What we’re looking for in our Fellows:
- At least four years of work or postgraduate study.
- Tech savvy, with experience working in or studying the technology sector.
- Great interpersonal and communications skills.
- Some technical ability and training.
- Ability to explain technology to those that aren’t as familiar with technology tools or concepts.
- Track record of success taking initiative and working with others.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Committed to helping get Members of Congress and Congressional staff up to speed on technology issues.
As a Congressional Innovation Fellow you will:
- Work with TechCongress to choose a placement with a Member or Congress or Congressional Committee and report directly to a senior staffer (like a Chief of Staff or Staff Director) in that office from January through December 2020.
Perform duties similar to other Congressional staff by applying your experience in technology to a variety of work, including:
- Researching relevant policymaking (on issues like cyber and election security, data and biometric privacy, AI policy, autonomous vehicle regulations, health IT, encryption, disinformation, and many others).
- Helping educate Members and staff about these issues.
- Writing legislation.
- Preparing for and organizing Committee hearings, markups, or investigations.
- Building coalitions with partners and other groups.
- Support TechCongress by writing about and presenting on your experience periodically, and represent TechCongress and the Congressional Innovation Fellowship at meetings or events.
No experience working in or with government? Great! We're not looking for that. The Congressional Innovation Fellowship is an opportunity to expose technology leaders like you to Capitol Hill. It is first and foremost and educational experience, giving you a one-of-its-kind education into how Congress and the government works.
Deadline: September 3