This is an archive of an expired job.
Company: The Getty
The J. Paul Getty Trust seeks an experienced and versatile editor to oversee the development of a new platform for news and stories for the Getty's website and digital channels. The editor will develop innovative editorial strategies as well as perform hands-on work to research, develop, write, and edit news and feature stories; they will also serve as a central point of oversight for editorial content for the Getty's high-traffic digital channels including website, news, blog, social media, and multimedia.
We are seeking a digitally savvy, highly detail-oriented candidate with journalism experience and outstanding news judgment who can effectively and swiftly combine visuals and text into compelling story packages customized for specific digital platforms. As editorial content lead, the candidate will also contribute to editorial standards and strategies for a multi-year project currently in progress to redesign our website.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Assistant Director for Digital Content Strategy. The role is part of the Digital Content Strategy team in the Trust's Communications Department, which creates and designs digital experiences around the visual arts and cultural heritage in support of the Getty's institutional vision.
• Serve as editorial lead for the Digital Content Strategy team, developing editorial standards and strategies and reviewing all text that publishes online from this office.
• Identify, research, write, and edit news stories and feature articles about the Getty's behind-the-scenes activities, translating the Getty's story in dynamic, engaging ways inclusive of broad non-specialist audiences.
• Lead the creation and packaging of essays and op-eds that demonstrate the Getty's thought leadership in art and cultural heritage.
• Work directly with subject matter experts to edit, fact-check, and adapt tone and style of text and images for a variety of digital mediums, including webpages, bylined blog articles, news announcements, social media posts, videos, and designed graphics.
• Ensure consistency of all content with Getty brand, content strategy, and design standards, as well as with Chicago style and in-house guidelines.
• Lead project to update the Getty's digital editorial style guide, working with colleagues across the organization; maintain, update, and enforce the guide.
• Translate complex work, ideas, and research concepts into clear, concise, compelling text to engage and inform broad general audiences, without compromising accuracy.
• Source and obtain rights and permissions for images and multimedia assets; maintain files of contracts, permissions, and payments.
• Work with content strategist and content producers to conceptualize and iterate on storytelling methods and formats across digital platforms.
• Create and maintain editorial schedules.
• Ensure that all text, including alt text and metadata, meets best practices for accessibility (WCAG 2.1).
• Work with digital and editorial colleagues across the Getty to share resources, information, and expertise.
• Manipulate still and multimedia content as needed for publishing on digital platforms, including web and social media.
• Bachelor's degree preferably related to digital media production
• Substantive experience in media production and project management
Education:BA/BS/UndergraduateExperience:5-7 YearsSalary:$73606-$95,677.92 Yearly Salary