Linux Engineer - Bates White Economic Consulting - Washington, DC - EXPIRED
This is an archive of an expired job.
Company: Bates White Economic Consulting
Bates White Economic Consulting has an exciting opportunity for a Linux Engineer in our Washington, DC office. The Linux Engineer is responsible for building and managing the Linux systems to support big data projects. The Linux Engineer is also responsible for provisioning, installing, configuring, maintaining, and operating both hardware and software systems in a primarily Windows environment.
The primary duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Design, build and maintain Linux systems that meet organizational standards and maintain security compliance using automation and scripting tools
- Diagnose and troubleshoot any reliability or performance issues on systems
- Work with the security team to address any vulnerabilities or security issues as they arise
- Collaborate with the Hadoop/Big Data Architects to ensure proper operation and security of the Hortonworks Hadoop environment
- Assist with planning and coordinating enterprise-wide infrastructure projects with other IT and client teams
- Respond to escalated helpdesk calls as they arise
- Provide off hours support during maintenance windows and on-call support rotation
- Support pre-production and production deployment, configuration, and testing while ensuring best practices are followed and recommendations communicated
- Develop project plan documentation such as design details, requirements analysis and implementation
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field required
- 5+ years of experience managing Linux Systems in an enterprise environment is required with CentOS/RHEL experience preferred
- Proficiency with Linux system administration tasks and security best practices
- Experience with integrating Linux systems into a Windows Active Directory environment
- Experience using system automation tools such as Kickstart, Puppet, Ansible, or Chef to standardize Linux configuration and patch levels
- Experience with Linux shell scripting (Bash, Python and/or Perl)
- Working knowledge of hardware products such as Dell, HP, Cisco, IBM and other Data Center hardware platforms
- Working operational knowledge of VMWare vCenter/ESXi Server
- Familiarity with networking technologies like firewalls/iptables, TCP/IP, DNS, routing, switching, load balancing and link aggregation
- Experience with establishing security policies and procedures for a hardened Linux environment
- Familiarity with container technologies such as Docker or Kubernetes is a plus
- Experience with HPC/Linux clustering is a plus
- Experience with Hadoop application is a plus
- Ability to occasionally lift and move up to 50 lbs
- Ability to frequently operate a computer or other office productivity machinery
- Ability to perform essential functions with or without a reasonable accommodation
- May require more than 40.0 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the positionIn addition to offering a collaborative and collegial environment, we offer competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package. If you are interested in joining our team, please submit a resume via our website at www.bateswhite.com.
Bates White is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and does not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at (202) 408-6110 or email your request to [email protected]. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.
Bates White will not discharge or discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Employees who have access to compensation information as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose this information to individuals who do not otherwise have access, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by Bates White, or (c) consistent with Bates White’s legal duty to furnish information.