This is an archive of an expired job.
Company: Metro Water
WATER TREATMENT OPERATOR I
Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is a consortium of twenty six cities and water districts that supply drinking water to nearly 19 million people in Southern California. The mission of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD) is to provide its service area with adequate and reliable supplies of high quality water to meet current and future needs in an environmentally and economically responsible way.
The Robert A. Skinner Water Treatment Plant currently has one (1) opening for a Water Treatment Operator I. The Skinner plant is located in Winchester (Temecula Valley) and is accessible from the 15 and 215 freeways.
The Skinner plant has a total capacity of 350 MGD. It utilizes conventional treatment with dual and tri media filtration and disinfection by ozone, chlorine and chloramines. The plant processes and associated facilities are monitored through a Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system.
This entry level position will be responsible for assisting the Water Treatment Plant Operators in the daily operation of the Water Treatment Plant processes and all associated facilities, structures, and equipment.
1. Receives on the job training and experience on various water treatment processes and equipment.
2. Receives training and may occasionally work in the control room for short periods of time under the direction of the Shift Operator.
3. Assists in monitoring and operating individual water treatment processes, and appurtenant systems such as solids removal, dewatering, gray water disposal and emergency power systems either manually or using the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition system.
4. Assists in conducting onsite inspections to operate water treatment processes and other appurtenant systems such as solids removal, de-watering, gray water disposal, and emergency power system.
5. Collects water samples and performs water quality analyses. Provides results to the shift operator. Calibrates laboratory equipment and verifies online instrumentation. Conducts quality assurance and quality control analyses.
6. Notifies the Shift Operator of adverse monitoring results or operational issues.
7. Assists in the response to incidental and emergency chemical releases under the direction of the shift operator or Incident Commander according to established protocols.
8. Assists in the performance of light maintenance and calibration of instruments.
9. Assists in executing switching and valving instructions.
10. Learns and assists to evaluate chemical usage and current inventory. Learns and assists to order and schedule chemical deliveries to maintain adequate chemical storage. Receives chemicals according to established procedures for security, quality and safety, which may include mixing and diluting chemicals.
11. Learns and assists to act as the on-site operator while maintenance activities or critical operations are being performed.
12. Creates records and logs associated with sub system and components within a water treatment facility.
Work Schedule: 12.5-hour day and night shifts on a rotational basis. Working on holidays may also be required. Please note, at times the District may change employees on a 12.5 hour shift schedule to a 4-10 schedule (four consecutive 10 Ã± hour day shifts).
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience: High school diploma or High School Equivalency certificate and two (2) years of water related experience or one (1) year experience working at surface water treatment plant.
Required Knowledge of: Surface water treatment processes; laboratory procedures for process control sampling; applicable safety practices; mathematics; safe handling of chemicals; and current office technology and equipment.
Required Skills and Abilities to: Operate individual surface water treatment processes including coagulation, flocculation, sedimentation, disinfection and filtration; operate chemical feed systems; perform water quality analyses; maintain data, records, and logs; understand and follow instructions; problem solve; prioritize and multi-task; communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; work independently and in a team environment; and operate current office equipment including computers and supporting applications.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
Employees in this position will be required to obtain and maintain the following certifications, licensing and registrations:
- State of California Water Treatment Certification Grade II (required at time of application)
- Self Contained Breathing Apparatus Certification
- Chemical Responder Certification
- Forklift Certification
- Valid California Class C Driver License (or its equivalent) that allows you to drive in the course of your employment (required at time of application)
Job Related Selection Criteria:
10% Job Preparation (education, experience and training relevant to the position)
30% Technical knowledge of water treatment processes and procedures including: storing, transferring, and mixing chemicals; monitoring filters and operating equipment; collecting water samples; and, maintaining operational logs.
20% Interpersonal Effectiveness / Teamwork
10% Ability to Learn
15% Planning and Organizing
10% Oral and Written Communication Skills
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, WORK ENVIRONMENT, AND VISION REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met or may be encountered by an employee to successfully perform the job duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job duties.
Physical Demands: The work requires considerable and strenuous physical exertion such as frequent climbing of tall ladders, lifting heavy objects over 50 pounds, and crouching or crawling in restricted areas.
Work Environment: The work environment involves high risks with exposure to potentially dangerous situations or unusual environmental stress that require a range of safety and other precautions, e.g., irritant chemicals, electrically energized equipment including high voltage systems, working at great heights under extreme outdoor weather conditions, or similar situations where conditions cannot be controlled.
Vision Requirements: Color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors)
Expectations of Hours of Service, Emergency and Stand-by Service: Employees in this position may be required to work rotating shifts and/or stand-by service to address operational needs and emergencies as required. May be required to work extended periods away from the normal reporting location. Must be able to work rotating shifts.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent medical, dental, life, vision
- Retirement plans, including pension plan and 401k
- Tuition reimbursement
- Training and advancement opportunities
- Excellent working environment
For more information on MWD benefits, please use the following link: http://www.mwdh2o.com/PDF_Careers/benefits.pdf
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. To receive a copy of the complete job description, please send an email to [email protected]
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application or selection process, please call (213) 217-7738 or email [email protected]
MWD is a Federal and State EO employer Ã± Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: https://mwdh2o.contacthr.com/66051482